Previously living/working outside of UK

Although you must still undertake a DBS (formerly CRB) check for staff that have lived overseas, it is necessary to undertake further checks with the country where they lived. These checks may include certificates of good conduct from local police forces or embassies, follow ups to anything that is provided should be made (e.g. call the organisation that sent the document and/or make checks through embassies etc).

There are a number of different routes that need to be followed depending on if the applicant is an EEA national, a volunteer or is working in a household with children.

Who needs to complete this section?

Contractors don't need to complete 'Previously living/working outside of UK'

Governors at a Maintained school don't need a 'Previously living/working outside of UK'

Governors in Academies do as they are classed as an employee of the school in terms of pre-employment checks

Volunteer is at the school's discretion. If you had a person who lived outside of the UK for five years and wants to volunteer, the DBS would not cover this time out of the UK so it is at the school's discretion.

The European Economic Area (EEA)

The applicant is a European Economic Area (EEA) national if they are a citizen of one of the following countries. If they have permanent residence in, but not citizenship of, any of these countries, they are not an EEA national:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

Switzerland is not a member of the EU or the EEA. However, Swiss nationals have rights which are similar to those of nationals of EEA countries. Therefore when applying for a DBS check, Swiss nationals are classed as EEA nationals.

ID checking guidelines for DBS check applications